Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Homemade Black Bean Burgers

I got this recipe from my favorite blog Eat. Live. Run. – Again :P My friend Patty, from Fordham, was visiting me at my house for the weekend and we had a lovely time. In the afternoon, we sat and chatted by my pool and then took a walk to Nourse Farm – a farm stand near my house. When were there we got ingredients for the Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad, a quart of strawberries to have for dessert later that night, and a small box of raspberries to eat as a snack right then.

Patty and I were both Urban Studies majors, but we became close friends by going out for coffees and going to our yoga studio together – ISTHA yoga on E 11th Street in NYC. It is seriously heavenly and I love it and miss it so much ! When we took classes together we would usually get something to eat afterward. We often talked about how meatfree options are so appealing even though neither of us are formally declared vegetarians. So when Patty came up to visit me, I thought it would be a good idea to make our own homemade veggie burgers !


They came out great ! It was a bit of a process to make them, but the recipe made 6 total, so it is possible to make it once and freeze some of the patties for another time, and it is definitely worth the work !


First you roughly chop a jalapeno pepper and two cloves of garlic and put them into a food processor and blend. Then add a can of black beans into the processor and blend until it is a rather smooth texture – like bean dip. Then take the mixture out of the processor and put it into a bowl. Add one ear of fresh corn, another can of black beans, and half a cup of bread crumbs. Mix it all up. Then form equally sized patties. We made ours on the grill and cooked them for about 4 minutes on each side. They were great and I would definitely make this recipe again – if I have a blender or food processor at my new apartment in Denmark !!

No comments:

Post a Comment